Moving Away From Home: A Young Person's Guide

Moving away from home is huge. You're still young and so used to the luxury of your parents' guidance and support. Well, things are about to change.
I moved away from home when I was 18 years old, and that's a pretty average age for many who will be started university/college, but we need to remember that even though moving out is an 'adult' thing, we're still kids. It's been a couple years for me so I've graduated from first time mover to living independently with my boyfriend, but when I was 18 I had to learn a lot.

So here's a few friendly tips to all the young people out there thinking about moving out of their parent's house, and advice on what to expect.

Money is an essential part of life. Before leaving for uni I could never fathom the value of money the way I do now. It is so important, and that's because you need to be WISE. Being wise is everything, and I know that from experience. I know people who have blown their entire university loan in the first month, leading them to have not even enough funds to pay for their groceries. Money is a powerful temptation, and it's maturity that will help you help you understand the importance of it.

Dealing with home sickness can be hard. It's a big world out there but being in the home of your parents can make that big world seem like this tiny comforting bubble. Once you're away from that, however, it can hit you hard. But it's okay. You're never too old to miss the comfort of your mother and I'm pretty sure that at some point of leaving you'll find it hard. I was so excited about gaining this independence that I didn't think about feeling home sick, but eventually I did, and that's fine.

If you don't know how to cook then start now! I was so shocked to know that people my age left home without the vital skills of cooking. You don't have to be the next Gordon Ramsay, but it's important to know the basic skills. Surviving off take outs everyday is not an option, neither is constant servings of beans on toast. Get out a recipe book and learn the basics, learn how to season your chicken or fry an egg. I love to cook because of the fulfilment I get out of a tasty dish. Don't look at it as a chore but a way of life or even a fun hobby.

Think about your next step. So you've moved out of your parents' home, that's great, but I am a huge believer in looking towards the future. For example, right now I am in a position where I have a stable part time student job and am living with my boyfriend. But I graduate in the summer of 2021; I have to think about where I go from there onwards.

Be selfless. Living with no independence or responsibility can make a person selfish even without knowing it. You can be selfish by leaving junk around the house for your mum to clean up, or by not appreciating the little things you have in life when living under someone else's roof. It's not an intentional flaw, we've all done it, but once moving out you will soon learn to appreciate things more and learn that being selfless is the way to go.

It's time to grow up. Once you're out the house, you are your own responsibility. You are not a child anymore. Learn what bills are, learn how to wash up the dishes and schedule laundry days. Learn that there is power in working so if you don't have a job then get one. This is the beginning of a beautiful life, and your parents will be watching and thinking of you with anticipation. I am not a mother myself but it must be terrifying letting your child go. Make them proud, just as I try to do every single day. Your family raised you and put you first, and now what they have taught you should pass over when you enter this brand new world of adulthood.

And lastly, have fun! You're finally on your own, have an adventure! Make new friends, see new things. Just use this independence in the right way and let yourself grow into an amazing person. If I was still stuck at home then I would have never seen half of the things I've experienced. It's a crazy world out there, it's your own decision to make the most of it.


~Ella

Comments

  1. Learning to live alone is hard. It took me a few years to learn all of this as well. I think figuring out that I was the one responsible for all of the cooking and cleaning and scheduling of appointments was the hardest lessons I had to learn. It’s strange going from someone else doing that for you (even if you helped a lot like I did) to be solely responsible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Responsibility is the most important thing, especially when having to force yourself to grow up. You're absolutely right, it is hard

      Delete

Post a Comment