Health is Wealth

Health is wealth. I'm sure many of you are familiar with that phrase. It's one that I use constantly. I have always had the mindset that what you eat and how you take care of yourself has an influence on you as a person. This varies from the food you choose to consume to the amount of time spent outside with nature. For me it has been a necessity to make sure that I am keeping healthy as best as I can, not only physically but mentally too. For example, continuously eating fast foods can cause one to feel sluggish whilst indulging in a healthy and refreshing meal will boost your energy.

FOOD
The phrase "breakfast is the most important meal of the day" is no lie
Growing up I NEVER ate breakfast. I made excuses like not having enough time or I was too worried about my figure, but then I started to think about what others would say and their reactions to me not eating one of my three meals. As well as this I noticed my lack of energy from doing this, and that was something I needed to change. As soon as I got into the habit I noticed an immediate change in my attitude and performance. It really is the most important meal. Nobody feels great as soon as they wake up so going straight to work/school on an empty stomach will not help. Even if it's just some toast or a bowl of fruit you will really help yourself.
Snacks
It's so easy to reach into the biscuit jar or grab a packet of crisps from the cupboard like it's nothing. It's so easy to snack just because 'why not?'. Now, snacking isn't wrong but their are such things as limits and temptations. Something I did was substitute certain items for others. When in the past I would be eating out of ice-cream tubs, I found that other substitutes were just as nice and helped my health all the more.
What are you eating?
Try to think about what you're putting into your body instead of just eating it. I have learnt that there are some things that do not agree with me and things that do. I have also learnt how to moderate the things I consume strategically. Now it's my lifestyle. You may think I'm weird but I LOVE water, and I would happily choose water over a can of coke any day; I have also embraced the sweetness of fruits rather than of chocolates. It is choices like this that compliment an alternative lifestyle, just make sure not to force this change. Find it naturally.
Money
Now I am older I understand the value of money, and life is pricey! I look back and feel sorry for my mother having to handle my cries of wanting McDonalds. You may think fast food is cheap, but it's its cheapness that makes you spend more money. Try to stay away from the cheap temptations because eventually you'll notice the load of Burger King and Chinese takeaway receipts cluttering in your wallet.

WELLBEING
Sleeping in
This is something that I definitely do not recommend. Unless you have a reason for waking up at 3pm then there is no reason to do it! And I cannot stress this enough.
Not only are you wasting the day, but you are also training your body to be lazy and sluggish. Your energy will be gone, especially if you're not waking up to the sun. The things you achieve during the day shape you and your actions, but waking up at strange hours of the day gives your day less value.
Wake up!
So wake up early! Okay, I'm not saying to wake up at 6am, but at least 9am, or even 10am. Just wake up early enough to feel the fresh morning air, to see the cloudy morning sky, to watch the emptiness of the streets. You will feel so much more refreshed and this even gives you the chance to stabilise your eating patterns (trust me when I say I know people who only survive on late night snacks)
Bedtime
There is no reason to stay up until 5am. The obvious reason for this is because your only entertainment will be the screens in front of you and your four walls. Might as well spend your entire day going outdoors and doing something productive rather than saving up all your energy for a long night of doing nothing!
Exercise
Now I know that physical exercise is not for everyone (it took me a LONG time to get into it myself) but I can truly say that it is such a rewarding activity. You will see your confidence skyrocket, your health will get much better, you will improve your mindset, and if you're lucky you might even reach your body goals. I know it can be hard for some people, especially if it's something out of their comfort zone, so it's okay to skip the idea of the gym and instead just take up walking, biking, jogging. This won't just improve your health but will allow you to take in the outside world, getting you out of the house.
Mental Health
Don't be afraid. You are not alone. This is an important topic for me, not because of how it impacts myself but because of how I see it take over others' lives. It is an awful thing, but we need to remember that it is a battle that can be fought. You may feel alone in this world or feel like you are unable to talk to someone, but there are many others in the same boat. It's scary, but the most important thing is to stay healthy and that starts with your own wellbeing. Unlike the other steps I am not going to tell you a way to change, all I can do is say that you are not alone and to turn to the people who you love and trust the most. It will get better.

~ Ella


Comments

  1. Really loved the post xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I 100% agree with all of the above. Its so important to make sure you're mindful of what you're eating and you can do so by being fully present. In other words, have a sit down family meal and don't eat every meal in front of the TV.
    Oh boy, yes staying up super late is a big no no in regards to weight loss because the longer you stay up, the more likely you snack. An important skill i picked up is to not eat anything after 8p. It's much healthier on your system and your weight to not go to bed on a full stomach.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh I think I've heard about not eating after 8pm. Sounds like a challenge hahah. I'm glad you liked the post!

      Delete
  3. This is really lovely, thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you enjoyed it and hope you found this somewhat useful :)

      Delete

Post a Comment