I am 20

4 years.
That's how long it's been since I last decided to blog.
Now I am 20.
Wow.

I would be lying if I said not much happened in the space of four years. I was 16 when I wrote my first ever post and all I did was complain about the hardships of life and pressure from adulthood, and I was completely right. Growing up was hard for me, there was so much I needed to achieve and so much that I had stressed about. Now here I am, a 20 year old woman with a completely different outlook on life.

When I was 16 I was finishing school, doing my GCSE's (which I succeeded in), and moving up to sixth form. When I was aged 17-18 I studied my ass off just to get into a good university (I succeeded in that too). I didn't get into a Russell Group university but nevertheless made it into a decent one. Me being me, I decided I wanted to get as far away as possible. This wasn't because I hated my family or didn't want anything to do with them, it was because I craved independence and still to this day do. Eventually I decided on Southampton, 2-3 hours away from my hometown. It was a daunting experience for me to have to move that far away from home for university but it was something I had always dreamed of doing. At this point I am 18, heading towards 19, and according to the UK laws technically a legal adult; looking back I was still a kid.

Luckily for me I instantly made friends and received the freedom I craved. I saw things other than just concrete and pigeons, Southampton allowed me to see the ocean, hear seagulls, and hear the loud horns of cruise ships. For the first time I was living in a city full of culture and experience, just like I had always wanted.

I had a lot of growing up to do, of course, and learnt the value of money. I got myself a job (after many interviews, may I add), learnt to manage my student loans, learnt the importance of saving. When I was 19 I met the greatest person I know who is not only my boyfriend but my best friend. At 20 we are still together and are even living together. As well as this I am due to be an auntie.

I have listed all of these amazing things that have happened over the course of these 4 years yet it is now where things will become difficult. Starting September, I will be in my last year of university. Then what? The thought of having to locate back to my tiny hometown puts me on edge, and the thought of  having no clue what I want in life makes it even worse. So I decided to make a list: what do I want from life?, what makes me happy?, what am I? I soon found out that I wanted a career showcasing my creativity, I want a career that makes me happy.

Happiness is all I have ever wanted when what I thought I needed was success. Of course, success is a want but I have now acknowledged that as long as I'm happy then nothing can stop me. I already have a novel in the works, and now I'm here again writing to an unknown audience hoping my thoughts will appeal. From now on I will be leaving regular posts on my blog, and will be using blogging almost as my second job.

This won't be the last you hear from me.

Comments